11.02.2012

Review: NYC New York Color IndividualEyes Dark Shadows

Awhile ago I received a NYC New York Color IndividualEyes in Dark Shadow with my Influenster VoxBox.  I have honestly never used NYC New York Color eyeshadows at all.  It was something I would always pass up.  I am not even sure if I have seen their IndividualEyes line before.  If I ever look at NYC New York Color it was for their nail polish really.


Supposedly this is also known as a custom compact, which I am not sure about since when I think of custom you could change the pans around.  That is probably just me though haha.



It comes with everything you need to do a complete eye look, eyeshadow wise.  There are four colors that are coordinated to intensify your eyes, a primer, illuminator, and applicator to help out your look.

Over the pans it states what they are use for:  Highlighter; All over lid; Crease/Contour; Crease/Contour; Primer base; Illuminator.  Of course for the four eyeshadows you could actually mix it up however you want it.  Experiment with it!

The applicator is a typical double ended sponge that you normally see in eyeshadow palettes.  I never use them for applying makeup.  However I do use them to clean up!


If you are unsure on how to do a look, the back of the package has a diagram of how you should apply the eyeshadows.  I find that wonderful since not everyone understands the concept of applying makeup.  "But wait there is more!"


If you lift the back label it goes into deeper details of how to use this palette.  Seriously great for those just getting into makeup!


The primer base and illuminator are cream pans.  I normally dislike my palettes containing a mixture of creams and powders since it could get messy.  But I like the idea that a cheapo product has now included a primer base with its palette.  Just makes it hassle free and a nice item to take on a trip when you do not want to bring a lot of products with you.


The swatches were done over the primer base that was in the palette.  These are all shimmer finished eyeshadows.

  • Highlighter:  pearl white 
  • All over lid:  a light silver
  • 1st Crease/Contour:  a dark gray or off black
  • 2nd Crease/Contour:  a grayish black - leaning more towards black
The Illuminator is basically used to overlap dark eyeshadows to recreate another shade. 

The primer is a tad oily, so this isn't a good primer for those with oily skin.  Some people noted about it basically cracky or creasing up, but I wasn't aware of it really when I wore it.  I think it's because I didn't leave the primer by itself.  As they say "What might work for me, might not work for you" goes into play here.

The eyeshadows are buttery like and seem nicely pigmented especially for the cost.  I was rather surprise with these actually.  My only issue with the eyeshadows though is that...
Yup...I found the three on the right side of the picture to be a bit more delicate, and has fallout.  Well these have fallout in general when you are applying it.  So be careful when using it, that you don't come off looking like a disco ball when you're done.  

However it wasn't much of an issue when I was working with them.  I still liked the concept that they decided to combine the primer base and illuminator in one palette.  

In this eye look, I used all of the pans actually.  I dabbed a little bit of the illuminator on the middle part of the lid.  I followed the diagram in the example they had on the package so you could get an idea of how it looked.  

  • Landbis Big Eye Dual-use Eyeliner black 
  • NYX Eyeshadow Base White
  • Maybelline Mega Plushy Volum' Very Black
These palettes go for $4.99 each.  So for the price it's not that bad.  Not something I would personally jump up and go buy, but it's great for those girls on a budget.  

What is your favorite item from NYC New York Color?  Do you use their eyeshadows?  

Thank you for stopping by my blog and I hope you have a wonderful day!