9.27.2012

Nails: Gradient Spun Sugar

Today's nails were inspired by friend Sarah, also known as Chalkboard Nails.  She had done a nail design based off of a dress by Betsey Johnson during NYFW.  You could read more about it at her blog.  She had a nice framed sponged base, and did  the spun sugar technique over it.  I have seen the technique before, but never attempted it; always wanted to try it out.  Sarah's post of it was the push I needed!

As I was doing the spun sugar on my nails I quickly realized I wanted cotton candy!  Not just any cotton candy, the ones you get at fairs, amusement parks, etc.  It brought me back to when I was little waiting in line as the person was twirling the stick thingy in the machine to swoop up the cotton candy.  And you would see the sugar strings stick against the glass/plastic shield.

The spun sugar technique isn't as difficult as it seems at all, and I found it pretty fun to do.  May be a bit time consuming, but well worth it in the end.


I knew that I wanted to do a gradient look.  So as I was picking my colors I figured why not shoot for four shades instead.  Two for the base and two for the spun sugar.  I wanted it to be where the gradients would end up being a full cycle.  So it went sort of:  1234-2341-3412 etc.; until I got back to 1234.


  • Beauty Secrets Base Coat
  • Wet n Wild Megalast Nail Color - On a Trip
  • Nabi - Mazarine
  • Sinful Colors - Timbleberry
  • Color Club - Tweet Me
Don't they just look wicked?  I couldn't believe I have never tried them before!  You could bet on it, that I will be doing these again!

You have two choices once you're done with your nails.  You could put a top coat over it, or leave it as it is. I actually did not put a top coat over these since I loved the way the 3D look was on these.  It gave it more of that eye catching moment.

When doing these I would suggest either taping up your fingers as you would when doing a splatter or water marble or you could use Vaseline, that way you do not deal with that much mess.  Clean up as usual!  

I hope you enjoyed this post and how it looks as much as I did.  Have you tried doing sugar spun nails before?  Do you still love munching on cotton candy time to time?

Thank you for stopping into my blog and I hope you all have a wonderful day lovelies!