5.17.2012

Review: theBalm - Meet Matt(e)

I would like you to Meet Matt(e), a well respected palette from the company theBalm.
I had received it from my husband for Mother's day, and I was super excited upon getting it.  I have been wanting Meet Matt(e) for awhile now, so this was an awesome gift for me.  

theBalm Meet Matt(e) ($34) contains nine eyeshadows and named after their favorite Matts. 
When I was looking at the names the first one to catch my attention was obviously MATT FREAKIN' SMITH!  Gotta love Doctor Who!

It includes a small dual-ended bristle brush, which is way better than those sponge tip brushes you end up finding in palettes.  The palette is small and sqaure-ish, which is made out of heavy-duty cardboard.  It of course comes with the typical cardstock matching cover that theBalm usually has upon their products.  When you open it up there is a mirror underneath the lid.

Swatches done over NYX eyeshadow base white.  Sadly Matt Smith did not show up on my swatches.  BOO!  I have used it several times for neutral looks.  So it is still a very nice color just didn't want to be nice with me at all.
Though it is a matte palette there are two in it that have a slight-sheen in it.  It is still a wonderful palette to take on the go! 
  • Matt Smith is a warmed up light beige that is matte
  • Matt Gallagher a medium dark brown with a matte finish
  • Matt Ramirez a dark brown with warm red undertones and a hint of gray-ish matte finish
  • Matt McDonald a slate blue gray that has a slight pearl silver sheen to it
  • Matt Horowitz has a semi-matte finish that is purpled blue
  • Matt Chung is a very pale white pink matte finish
  • Matt Batali is a deep burgundy eggplant with brown and purple tones within it matte finish
  • Matt Schilling is a wonderful matte teal but seems a bit blue
  • Matt Patel is a gray sort of mauve that has a hint of brown matte finish
The texture of these shadows are soft, smooth and buttery.  There are issues with two of them I had that seemed a bit chalky or patchy, but other than that I love this palette. 
I even brought this along with me on the "Liberius" film shoot and it looked wonderful on those I used it upon.
If you're interested in obtaining Meet Matt(e) or any of theBalm's items head to their website, as well as several other sites (for example Sephora) are selling their products.  Also check theBalm's Facebook and Twitter, they are doing a giveaway every day on the weekdays.  All you have to do is post what product you want from them.  Good luck if you enter!
Do you have any products from theBalm?  What is your favorite item from them so far?